At the age of 25, I've worked in 2 companies so far and ran one. HAHA. So does that makes three? And Im finally doing what I really love. Teaching kids.
After I got my 1st semester results for my Matriculation Exams, I went for my interview that was required in order for me to enroll myself as a TESL Student. I THINK I passed it. HAHA. But after the final results came out, I did really well in the science subjects that I changed my mind to do something in science. I was just pulling a wild card and had no idea what I was doing. Ayah always had the idea that I was supposed to be the doctor in the family but I didn't have the drive and the brains to be one. I didn't want to be a teacher since everyone in the family are teachers.
But look where I am now? A science degree holder, with 2 years of teaching experience yet no teaching background. HAHA. But when you get a calling, you just know that you're in the right place.
Now a confirmed staff , I finally know what I really want to do in 5 years or 10 years down the road. Teaching is the most natural thing for me to do. But science is not my forte and even though I got fairly good grades for my degree, it just wasn't in me. Im happy here with my kids, my colleagues, my boss is cool, and finally I'm doing what I'm really passionate about.
I just wished that back then in high school, our counselors would guide us to what we love to do. If we loved to dance during the school performance, what's wrong with studying Performing Arts? If we loved to collect old coins and watches, why didn't someone tell us we should open an antique store? If we sucked in school but a great babysitter to our siblings, why didn't our mums tell us we could be professional childminders? Or Child psychologist?
Do we really know what we want at the age of 15? I say 15 cause that's when we decide to either do Science, Art, Accountancy,Trade,Vocational studies and etc. Since when learning is all about books and more books? Can't we just throw away the books and do all these hands on? Can't the teachers LET GO?
Now that I'm happy where I am now, it's time to go to the next level! You know you're doing the right thing when your boss has plans for you in 2 years time, so let's make sure we know what we want to do in 10 years time. And I found a great article in November's issue of Nona on how to manage your career, and how you can attain self confidence, be optimistic and stand on your own two feet. Here's the tips from the article
1) Be responsible of your development.
- Are you getting the training that you need? Is it relevant to your work scope? If your boss have not sent you for the training you think you need, then do your own research and find out which areas you need to improve on. Tell him/her why you think it's relevant like for example it can improve your productivity hence the companies'.
2) Building a good relationship with your boss.
- In my last job, my boss didn't even know I was working with them. How can that be? Is it because it was too big to acknowledge everyone? Is it because I didn't take the initiative to be more outspoken and involved in all their activities? Is it because I spent most of my time in my office and not mingling enough for people to notice me? It's essential to build a strong relationship with your boss, if not, a professional one. ALWAYS respect them as your superiors even though YOU THINK you know better. Knowing things doesn't mean you respect them less. Take note of how they work and get them to criticize your work so you know where you stand from their point of view.
3) Keep your workplace clean
-How you feel towards your work and how you function is reflected by how your desk looks. A messy one holds you back from doing your work effectively. Yes you think having it messy works for you but it actually doesn't. Humans love neat pretty things. We love to see everything in order. That's why you love 5 star hotels. Everything is in order. You'll save more time if everything is in place and chances are things won't get lost.
4) Don't mix your personal stuff with business.
Don't gossip about your co-workers!
5)Think positive always.
A positive initiative is they key towards satisfaction. The more positive you are, the more positive outcomes you'll get. Nothing is more rewarding than knowing what you plan pays off. Stop whining. Stop saying how low your salary is, when you spend most of the time checking your facebook feed and writing up entries on your blog. opss haha. If you think you should earn RM5k a month, then are you doing RM5k worth of work for your company?
Gitu. Ilmiah sangat. HAHA.
Congratulations to me. Let's see how long I can stay in this company. So what's YOUR ambition?
4 comments:
study IT, working pon IT field.. tapi sekarang da mula rasa bosan dengan kerja sendiri... apa kess??
ambition baru - nak kerja kat library... hahahhh!!! ada kaitan?
hehe boleh je mek. library pon pakai IT, nak build system dia . ingat senang ke sistem library. berjuta2 buku nak keep record. hehe
kak nawal..saya sangat suka post ini....until now memang tak rasa nak duk lama di factory and work as a food technologist...lol..
aifa-haha...so stay as food technologist la ni?
Post a Comment